Sunday, March 14, 2010

No Jar Questions Today

I'm just writing really quickly on my way to bed. Firstly: This has been a GREAT week! Thursday I was observed by the BYU liaison (that's the lady who is over all of the student teachers and interns in the district), and she said I absolutely knocked it out of the park! In addition, the principal came in to observe my mentor teacher while I was teaching (he didn't know that) and stayed through my lesson. Afterwards, my mentor teacher and the liaison told me he was asking them if they thought I'd like to teach fifth grade in that area (meaning at that school). How fun! Only my papers are in for my mission so I would have had to turn him down. But it's still cool knowing he thought I was good enough to be looking at me for a job offer! ^_^

Mission Prep was fun, Brother Brad Wilcox came and shared some fun stories (and said hi to me, he knows me from some classes). Some of the most memorable quotes:

"Live every day so that when you wake up in the morning Satan goes, "Oh no. She's awake!"
~From a Sister Missionary's quote book

"In Spanish sign language, the signs for Savior and Missionary are the same."
~Brad Wilcox, quoting a brother from his mission

I'd also like to say how grateful I am for the "restrictions" placed on us by the gospel. I have a friend right now who is not a member and has very different values than I do. She's a good person, but since I met her she's really fallen apart. She's drunk a lot, can't control her rage, and hangs out with friends who are very into "hooking up." She lets people sleep over in her "suite..." Basically, very against everything that is right. I look at her journal and what she says to me when we talk...she hates her life! She has all that "freedom," does whatever she wants, follows no rules, and yet SHE IS MISERABLE! She's always angry and hurt and disappointed...I almost feel like I want to slap her up side the head and say "GET IT TOGETHER!" or tell her that I know why she feels this way and help her turn her life around. But she's pretty resistant to any change right now, especially any she sees as taking away her freedom. But I look at my life, and then at hers, and...I am so much happier! I have stress, things aren't going perfect for me, but I can look back on my day or week and say: "This has been a good week!" Where as she looks back and hates her life. I hope some day I'm able to help her turn around, my heart just aches for her.

Anyway, that's today!

No comments: