Friday, July 17, 2009

Last Weekend and Iowa Fujas

Last Weekend
Last weekend, my family went to a family reunion in Idaho. I stayed behind to pick Gordon up from his week-long camp in the High Uintas. I packed up and headed over to my house Friday afternoon. It was beautiful and clean--ready for the guests on Monday. I had a good night watching Dick Van Dyke. Then I was up really late sanding a banister.

A few days before, I had been home and seen our downstairs banister. I don't think that thing had ever had a decent cleaning since we moved into our house! That poor handrail was positively gray! I had called up to my family that it needed a cleaning, and my father did his usual, "I think somebody is volunteering." I thought I'd surprise my family by cleaning the banister while they were away. I took a rag and Comet to the banister, cleaning off the gunk, after which the rag was black and the handrail was--white. Sort of. Underneath all that grease and grime, there were only spots of varnish left! So I decided there was nothing for me to do except sand down the banister and re-varnish it. I took down the banister from its rusted brackets and took turns sanding the railing down and sanding the rust off of the brackets all night and into the morning. I got about 1/4 of the way done with the banister, and got most of the rust off the brackets.

When I woke up later I went to the store to pick up some coarse sandpaper, new finish for the brackets and some varnish for the banister. Getting back, I was just in time to refinish the brackets and pick Gordon up from his week-long.

Going over there, I was honestly pretty shocked. The poor kid was COVERED in mosquito bites! Apparently the mosquitoes were so thick that practically bathing in bug spray didn't help the scouts. And I guess Gordon is a bit allergic to mosquitoes. So I got him home and made him an oatmeal bath. He kept insisting he wasn't the least bit tired, so after a quick trip to Walmart for some Benadryl I put him to work helping me sand the banister. The work went a lot quicker with his help, and we had lots of fun singing together with songs from my iPod. He and Catherine are my only siblings who don't tell me to be quiet when I sing along with songs, so it was great!

In two hours we had the whole thing sanded and were putting on the first coat of varnish. We did this about 3 more times before going to Wendys and getting a fantastic supper. Mommy called and asked me to have Gordon mow the lawn and to weed the rosebed. I nearly laughed hysterically, as she didn't know what work we had been doing all day and Gordon was now fast asleep on the couch. I cleaned the house quickly of what mess had been made by the banister work, weeded the flower bed and tried (and failed) to start the lawn mower. I had to wake Gordon to get him to try (and fail) to start the mower, but that was okay because the neighbors came over and asked him to watch their children while they went to the store so he would have had to be up anyway. I was just putting the last coat of finish on when the family pulled into the driveway. I had meant to have the banister up by then, so I just ran inside and looked like I didn't know WHAT the banister was doing in the driveway...of course they had seen me putting on the last coat so they knew I had something to do with it. Mommy told me I was silly and to get home--apparently Grandma had been sick in the car--and that was all the thanks I got, but compared to the grungy thing it used to be. When I went back for Andrew's shindig I ran my hand down it and realized that the finish had bubbled in the heat while it was drying, so I'll have to use some finishing sandpaper and smooth it over. Otherwise, for having only used my internet research and my common sense, I think it came out really well! I was proud of how beautiful the banister looked Gordon's mosquito bites are now healing, so we're grateful for that too.

Iowa Fujas and Photo Dump!

When I got home from the weekend, I first wondered why there were all these vans in the driveway. I knew Randy was coming down for Andrew's farewell, but I didn't see how he could have brought 2 vans. Then I saw Andrew standing by one of the vans holding a baby and was even more confused. Had one of Andrew's friends--one with a baby--stopped by? As he turned and walked into the house I realized that it wasn't Andrew...it was Tannin! I got all excited, slammed the door, started to run into the house, ran back to turn my headlights off, and ran into the house in time to greet Megan and Cumorah! What a great surprise! It's been a fantastic week with them. They were at the farewell, and had fun playing with Shayna's kids afterwards.

Monday my family came over and had a ball playing with Tayton, Hunter and Cumorah. I took lots of pictures, so get ready, get set...PHOTO DUMP!

Andrew and Tayton playing ping pong

Me and Cumorah playing on the rug

Catherine and Hunter playing "I'm gonna getcha!"--That kid can run!

Tayton and Gordon play Hide and Seek--When I took this, Tayton still hadn't
realized Gordon was sitting right behind him!


Gordon and Tayton playing football

Everyone playing together

After the play we had a fantastic barbeque with brats and steak.

Tuesday we all went up to BYU. We went to the stadium (where Tayton was totally in awe), then to the Bean Museum and to the Bell Tower to feed ducks. Then we went to get ice cream at Sugar and Spice! And, of course, I took pictures! ;D

Tayton, Hunter, Gordon and Andrew at the Stadium

Cumorah at the Stadium

Mommy, Catherine, Rebecca, Tayton and Megan
at the Bell Tower


At the duck pond
(Front to back: Rebecca, Janette, Andrew,
Catherine, Tannin and Tayton)


Tannin and Tayton

Tayton and Gordon running down the hill by the Library

Aren't they just so cute? Incidentally, the first set of pictures was taken with my camera, the second with my camera phone. So...I guess my phone has as good quality as my handheld camera? :D

Wednesday, everyone went to a surprise 50th bday party for Uncle Randy. I had school and work so I didn't get to go, but I stayed and took care of Grandma. I hear the party went really well and that everyone had fun!

Anyway, they all left on Thursday to visit a few of Megan's relatives. And today Wendy is going to arrive! We're so excited and feel so blessed to be able to spend so much time this summer with those we love. Andrew goes into the MTC on Wednesday, I think, and we'll miss him, but it's good to know he'll be doing the Lord's work!

Thanks for being patient with these long posts, take care!

No comments: