Wednesday, January 24, 2007

1/24/07

Today I have a horrible throatache. You know, the kind where your throat feels raw like you've been shouting all day? The kind that make you gain weight because the only time it feels better is when eating? Yeah. Anyway, it kept me up all night. Literally every 3 hours I would have to get up to try and fix it. So, I'm tired and in pain. Meh, whatever, enough complaining.
We studied igneous rocks in Physical Science lab today. I came up with some fun sayings to help remember what anaritic, phanaritic, and porphorytic rocks are. Anaritic rocks get an "A" because they are so "fine" (they are fine-grained in texture). Phanaritic rocks need a "fan" because they cool so slowly (phanaritic rocks usually form in the magma chamber, and have large grains due to slow cooling). Lastly, porphorytic rocks are "poor" because they are neither fine nor large-grained (they have a mixture of both), so none of the other rocks will play with them. Problem is, I'm having trouble. Everything I look at looks porphorytic!
In marriage prep we talked about the Marriage Trends of society. A lot of them STINK. Did you know that in places like France they sell "sex suits," where...no, I won't tell you. The name itself says it all. Suffice it to say they hook up to the internet for those "long distance relationships." DISGUSTING.
Next I have World Music Cultures. I'm trying to learn how to tell the difference between a sitar, a sarod, and a vina by sound. A tambura is easy to recognize because it only has four strings, and is only used for a drone. However, look what I learned: In Indian music there are usually four sections: Alap, which is introduction of the raga (musical scale) and improvisation, Jor and Jhalla (I don't remember much about these...I think one is free rhythm and one is steady), and the Got. The Got has a set rhythm, drums are added, and it usually has a set tune. Hey, did you know in South India they echo what the vina plays with a violin? They hold the violin between their chest and foot, and slide their fingers up and down the fingerboard to get the notes. I couldn't imagine putting my violin on my FEET. Blegh. Think of all the stuff that foot has touched, especially in India!
Then I have vocal class. We're supposed to be soloing "Shenandoah" today, but I am going to ask for an extension because my voice is really gone.
After that, I had work. Nothing really to say about that, it was a slow day. Oh! One of my coworkers did a cartwheel because she thought nobody was watching. Turns out somebody was on the computers. She blushed and said, "Oh, I didn't know you were there!" I clapped and laughed and she said, "Did you see that?" I nodded yes RIGHT as our manager walked in clapping. HE had seen it! It was classic!


Kara, my crazy coworker (not the one that did the cartwheel)

I'm going to try to get to bed EARLY today, although if my throat keeps me up like last night, I don't see what good it'll do me.
Ah, well, tomorrow is Folk Dance, which will be way fun!

No comments: